If you have LOST a pet, the very first call you should make is to the three local pounds in Fargo, Moorhead, and West Fargo.
- Fargo/Cass County Pound: 701-232-7312
- Moorhead/Clay County Pound: 218-236-9059
- West Fargo Pound: 701-433-5500
Cats Cradle Shelter is not a city pound. We are an urgent rescue and can not accept strays under any circumstances, even if you believe that the pet has been abandoned. Legally, they MUST go through the pound. If no owner comes forward to claim it, there are two options:
- The finder has the option to put a “finder’s” hold on the pet, and to adopt the pet after the hold period is over if no owner comes forward.
- Once the stray animal has spent 3-5 days in the pound and is deemed adoptable, it will become the property of the city and can be offered to the rescue agencies who will place it up for adoption.
If you have lost your pet, do the following:
- Provide the local pounds with a detailed description and/or picture of your lost pet and check back regularly
- Bring a poster with a photo to Cats Cradle Shelter
- Leverage social media
- Heart of the Valley
- Fargo/Moorhead Lost & Found Pets and Personal Items
- Have your friends share, tweet, Instagram, etc info about your pet
- Leverage local web sites
- Put up posters in your neighborhood and local community boards
If you have found a pet, do the following:
- If Fluffy or Fido show up on your property, you should contact the animal control officers or local law enforcement immediately and ask them to bring the pet to the pound. Bringing the animal to the pound is the best chance for the animal to be reunited with its owners.
- If found in Fargo, call Fargo police at 701-235-4493 or drop them off at the Fargo pound (3210 Main Ave. Fargo, ND)
- If found in Moorhead, call Moorhead police at 218-299-5120
- If found in West Fargo, call West Fargo police at 701-433-5500
- If found outside of the above city limits and in Cass County, call the Cass County Sheriff’s office at 701-241-5800 or drop them off at the Fargo pound (3210 Main Ave. Fargo, ND)
- If found outside of the above city limits and in Clay County, call the Clay County Sheriff’s office at 218-299-5151
- **Please note, the West Fargo and Moorhead pounds do not accept drop offs of strays. Contact the local law enforcement for pickup of stray animals.
- Check the online resources listed in the “lost your pet” section for a potential match to the pet you have found.